What is Counselling? Counselling is a type of talking therapy which gives you the opportunity to navigate difficult thoughts and emotions feelings in a safe, confidential environment.
Who is involved?
The counselling process involves working with a trained counsellor, most typically on a one-to-one basis.
It is important to remember, your counsellor is not there to tell you what to do, or how to feel. Their purpose is to encourage you to discuss any challenging thoughts and emotions you may be experiencing.
They will listen without judgement and help you find a way to move forwards.
You are probably most familiar with counselling in a face-to-face situation, however there are other options available. Telephone counselling, web-based and video counselling are also widely available.
What can I expect?
You may be offered a one-off counselling session; however, many people will attend multiple sessions in order to work through their difficulties in more depth.
Ordinarily, appointments are 50-60 minutes long and are attended weekly/fortnightly for 6-12 weeks, however they can continue for longer.
Before you begin counselling, you might be invited to an initial counselling session to discuss the process and to share what you would like to gain from your sessions.
However, you will never be expected to talk about anything you do not want to, your counsellor will aim to ensure the sessions progress at your own pace.
Everyone’s counselling journey will be unique, but here are just some of the ways counselling can be useful:
- Working with a counsellor can help you identify your specific ways of thinking, which can be used to help you establish strategies/ techniques to improve your wellbeing.
- It can enable you to better manage and understand difficult thoughts and emotions.
- It can help empower you to find positive ways to cope with past experiences.
- It allows you to explore your thoughts and emotions further related to a specific event in your life.
Counselling services are provided by:
- Survivors UK
- One in Four
- Watford Rape Crisis
- Into The Light
- Aurora Foundation for People Abused in Childhood